Tuesday 5 November 2013

Does racial profiling really exist?

Growing up in England from the age of one i've always considered myself to be British in some capacity.

I mean, this country afforded my family and i the opportunity to better ourselves and to strive for better and to dream. I even support the English national team which has caused plenty of stress to me in my 25 years.

Over the last 10 years or so I've began to see a different side to the place i consider my second home. With the emergence of an american inspired Gang culture mostly amongst ethnic minorities within inner city London over the last decade  i have seen a change in how my self and young men of colour are perceived.

In total i've been stopped by the police at least 8 times though i have never committed a single crime in my life. I used to think it was because of the way i dressed but on one occasion i was stopped when i was smartly dressed and in the company of my sister which she didn't take kindly to. With all the stories that have appeared in the press regarding gun and knife crime, i tend to believe that so many innocent y men of colour are being unfairly treated and to an extent humiliated due to the actions of a couple hooligans which is totally unfair.

I for one hate pulling out the race card but theres only so much harassment a guy can take sometimes. I recall an incident when my father was stopped when driving me to school in the morning, i can't recall what was said during the random stop but all i remember was my dad telling me to always carry my licence when i would eventually start driving. Now i understand why.







No comments:

Post a Comment